Home Forums ICA Arabic ICA Arabic Community Rules Contact us English French

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 am

• All times are UTC

Canaryfans

Post subject: Canary breeding problems
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:21 pm 

Topics: 71

Factors that cause difficulties and problems in breeding

Let me give here the most important reasons that lead to problems and difficulties and failures in Canary breeding, of course, many reasons have been mentioned in our forum through various Honourable members, and so I wanted to summarize them in order to be a reference for breeders to know the reasons that should be avoided and prevented in order to raise successful without obstacles.
I hope that I will put all the factors and reasons.
For your information these factors apply to all pet birds.

Problems of breeding in various stages:

1 - The failure of birds to mate: in terms of compatibility and harmony between the couple and the acceptance to one another.
2 - Mating but do not lay eggs.
3 - Lay eggs, but not fertilized.
4 - Eggs fertilized but failed to hatch.
5 - Have been laying eggs, but broken.
6 - A high proportion of rotten eggs.
7 - A high proportion of death in the egg.
8 - Chicks can not get out of the egg.
9 -Weak or the death of chicks in the nest.

Causes of these problems:

1 - The failure of birds to mate:

* Not fully mature one of them, or both.
* Too young one of them, or both.
* pair is not a mating pair, ie, it can be male with a male or female with female.
* Fear, inconvenience and disruption in the light schedule (external influences).
* Nutritional problems: either poor nutrition or excessive obesity.
* Disturbance in the hormones.
* Diseases.
* Atrophy of the sexual glands of one or both pair.
* Hereditary diseases or defects.
* Various problems in the reproductive system.
Environment that is suitable for mating, such as a confined space do not have room enough for the couple, a lack of nesting materials, lighting is insufficient or irregular in the number of hours of light, the temperature is stable, such as very low or very high.
* Excessive mating in a single season.
* Take the pair is appropriate: if possible, change either bird; the male with another female or the female with another male.
* Season is not suitable.

2 - Mating but do not lay eggs:

* One of the reasons mentioned above.
* Similar in sex.
* Entrapment of a white or other problems in the female reproductive system, such as infections of the uterus or ovaries, or atrophy of the reproductive system in general.

3 - Lay eggs but not fertilized:

* One of the reasons mentioned in the first item.
* The absence of the male: some may not realize that the female bird breeders as possible if the bleaching was isolated alone or with another female.
* May interfere with some drugs, if given for long or high doses in the metabolism and hormones in the body causing sexual sterility of any of the sexes.
* The male is small and inexperienced.
* You may not leave the female from the nest to mate with the above-mentioned correctly or not hunting her enough.
* For sizes larger than the male of female, and therefore do not appreciate that which is borne by them.
* Mentioned as possible long nails, which hurt the female when the process of pollination.
* The existence of small feathers on the male penis.
* Roost is not constant, leading to lack of provisions of enrichment.
* Male protector and ready but there is no sperm ready. For example, it was sometime in the emptying sperm to impregnate loose and when the vaccination was the arbitrator were not sperm are present. Sometimes there is no sperm in the presence of chicks when (Sobhan Allah protect the chicks from the ferocity of the father because of the high concentration of male hormone), so these hormones during the fade and a chicken to ease the male and therefore there is no sperm.
These are the reasons that make the breeder surprising that everything is excellent and walking is fine, but there is no fertilized eggs and the reason that the sperm are not available at any time.
* In the course of infection, which kills sperm, or an overlap between the presence of urine and feces of sperm (as we know that the slot direction common to all).
* Infections in the course of the female reproductive system, or high acidity kills sperm. Or scrap it out once they come out of the insemination of sperm with the waste.
* The lack of in one of the vitamins such as selenium and vitamin E, leading to sperm is intact (distorted) or weak (not able to fertilize an egg).
* Full of male infertility congenital or not congenital.
* Obesity, which hinder the process of fertilization or inactivity of the male.
* Mentioned in satisfactory condition, or in the process of molting.

4 - eggs failed to hatch:

* Annoyed by the female foster breeder, cats, mice, insects, voice spam, fumes, gases and unpleasant odors, or other birds from the nest until the chicks or the former than the male.
* Cold eggs: eggs that did not take the temperature for incubation because of the inconvenience or failure of a female female egg incubator to cover properly, especially if she was holding the additional eggs (ie, the presence of 5 or six eggs in each nest).
* Destruction of the shell of the egg by accident or because of an accident: for example, when pregnant, or because long nails, a very small crack is enough to contaminate the egg and kill the fetus. May break the egg from the mother impulsively sudden involuntary movement or when harassed, such as what happens with the mother Alhanona that refuses to play for white teacher forcing that spared his hand or to carry out an inspection of the nest when the eggs.
* May move some of the infectious diseases of the female of the fetus Vtguetlh before hatching. Some types of bacteria such as Salmonella can penetrate through the shell of the egg to the inside.
* Flaws in the food. Severe drought, moisture is adequate.
* Hereditary diseases affecting the development of the fetus.

5 - Broken eggs:

* Hassle.
* Poisoning: for example, or carbon dioxide and other gases such as toxic or chlorinated hydrocarbones which causes breaks in the shell of the egg.

6 - rotten eggs:

Rotten eggs is where the contents of rotting after incubation. Eggs may be enriched by decomposing the warming nursery or infection or neglect, leaving a long period of eggs by the female incubated. The other option is to have eggs fertilized but died due to infection, neglect, and a genetic deformity or injury or because of reasons in a third and fourth items at the top.

7 - dead chicks inside the egg:

There are multiple reasons are mentioned in each item, the third, fourth and fifth. Additional reason is the drought conditions of the fetus, especially in cases of dry air and expert know what the mother needs to go so Vtsthm eggs remain moist and then go back and sit on the eggs.

8 - the inability of the chick to get out of the egg:

* Dry egg shell.
* The low temperatures hinder hatching, where they cause cold and low metabolic rate to the chick.
* Poor baby can not break the shell of the egg and get out in time, especially if the crust was thick and solid bass, even the natural may not be able to be broken. Teacher intervention will not help unless the egg remained pierced chick becomes weaker and then the egg should be opened carefully and pull sheet.
* Often happens to be the egg round (circular) not more oval. Therefore it will not chick heading toward the void of any antenna will not be inferred, so it will not penetrate the crust, leading to suffocation and death.
* If his head was trapped under the left wing and not right. Chick programmed to move in the opposite direction Fathagb egg as it moves. But when the imprisoned his head under the left wing can not puncture the egg dies his body inside.
* When the legs over his head. Also does not happen a hole and die.
* Other reasons such as infection, lack of nutrition in the mother than the fetus is weak after its completion.

9 - weakness and death of chicks in the nest:

* Hassle: Death may occur due to negligence by the parents as a result of the hassle (the first paragraph in the fourth item).
* Illness or death of a parent, particularly the female, causing a small cooler and death by starvation.
* Flaws in the food.
* Infectious disease, lack of cleanliness of the nest, Fash.
* Do not give food to the parents, such as soft-boiled eggs.

Dear brothers:
The most important factors in the causes and pass on the teacher during the breeding (breeding season). Some avoidable and some can not be avoided even when experienced breeder with experience.
But the moments of success is what makes the hobby of breeding birds enjoyable despite the difficulties and problems and challenges.

I wish you a successful breeding season and a successful without any problems.

Signature

Breeder: Canary
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:35 am 
Global moderator
Global moderator

Topics: 137

Thank you Brother Mohammed for this really nice topic. As you mentioned there are a lot of things we have to make sure about to have a successful breeding season. Most of these things can be manageable and easy to fix and I think that everyone now is aware of them.

Again thank you, and please keep in touch with us regard any topics you might find of great benefit to us.

Signature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:08 pm 

Topics: 10

Additional to the problem No. 3: Lay eggs, not fertilized:

We make a difference between the non-frosted (intensive) or frosted (non-intensiv) bird.
The lipochrome pigment of the frosted birds stops just short of the margin of the web of the feather giving the bird a lightly powdered or frosted appearance. This kind of feather ist longer, too.
The non-frosted or intensive birds don’t have the margins. The feather ist a little bit smaller.
The different of the types you can see and touch with your finger:
Open the wings, feel the feather on the belly.
The best choice for good results are frosted x non-frosted.

Sometimes the non-frosted birds have very longer feather and the sperm can’t passed.
Specially when you pairing up two birds non-intensiv.

Before I pairing up the birds, I cut around the genitals the feather. It is an usually process .
But the small feathers on the male penis I never cut.

Every breeder of the body type canaries must do this. Over many generation this birds are mated non-intensiv x non-intensiv.
If you don’t do it, you will get not good results.

Additional to the problem No. 7-8

During the last 15 years many breeders – include myself – got problem of a mysterious disease in their farms: The Black Spot.
Some breeder lost more than 90 % of their chicks.
Symptom of this disease: Death in the egg, chicks cannot get out of the egg or weak or the death of the chicks in the nest. Almost of chick died in the first 5 days.

All of this chicks died with a black spot. – Not only canaries, also Gouldian Finches and Zebrafinches.

The German Breeder Association gave a veterinary surgeon the task of controlling about the disease, but until today nobody know the reason of the Black Spot.

What you or other breeders know about this ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Signature
Best Regards
Werner Krueger

W.krueger1@gmx.de

Breeder: Canaries, Gouldian Finches, Long-Tailed Finches, Splendid Parakeets
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:00 pm 

Abu Suhaib wrote:
Thank you Brother Mohammed for this really nice topic. As you mentioned there are a lot of things we have to make sure about to have a successful breeding season. Most of these things can be manageable and easy to fix and I think that everyone now is aware of them.

Again thank you, and please keep in touch with us regard any topics you might find of great benefit to us.

Brother Abu Suhaib Thank you

God willing, I will be with you

I think you talked about the black spot disease in the Arabic forum as a translation for what you read about it ?

Signature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:09 pm 

Werner wrote:
Additional to the problem No. 3: Lay eggs, not fertilized:

We make a difference between the non-frosted (intensive) or frosted (non-intensiv) bird.
The lipochrome pigment of the frosted birds stops just short of the margin of the web of the feather giving the bird a lightly powdered or frosted appearance. This kind of feather ist longer, too.
The non-frosted or intensive birds don’t have the margins. The feather ist a little bit smaller.
The different of the types you can see and touch with your finger:
Open the wings, feel the feather on the belly.
The best choice for good results are frosted x non-frosted.

Sometimes the non-frosted birds have very longer feather and the sperm can’t passed.
Specially when you pairing up two birds non-intensiv.

Before I pairing up the birds, I cut around the genitals the feather. It is an usually process .
But the small feathers on the male penis I never cut.

Every breeder of the body type canaries must do this. Over many generation this birds are mated non-intensiv x non-intensiv.
If you don’t do it, you will get not good results.

Additional to the problem No. 7-8

During the last 15 years many breeders – include myself – got problem of a mysterious disease in their farms: The Black Spot.
Some breeder lost more than 90 % of their chicks.
Symptom of this disease: Death in the egg, chicks cannot get out of the egg or weak or the death of the chicks in the nest. Almost of chick died in the first 5 days.

All of this chicks died with a black spot. – Not only canaries, also Gouldian Finches and Zebrafinches.

The German Breeder Association gave a veterinary surgeon the task of controlling about the disease, but until today nobody know the reason of the Black Spot.

What you or other breeders know about this ?

Thank you brother Werner for the clarification beautiful

Signature

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm 
Global moderator
Global moderator

Thank you Mr. Werner for those information and recommendations. For us cutting the feather around the genitalia is a way that we follow as a solution for this problem for the reason you mentioned.

For the black spot disease, yes it is a serious problem and few friends faced it with baby chicks, it has a high mortality rate for chicks. And what I know about this diseases: It is a viral infection with a single stranded DNA virus known as circovirus. The black spot is always at the right side and it is due to galblader enlargement.The canary circovirus, known as CaCV is transmitted by "carrier" birds . It is highly contagious disease and the virus is too difficult to kill even with disinfectants and can survive on surfaces for up to six months. Because it is a viral disease no treatment is effective, so the only thing to do is to avoid breeding pairs that had this problem before and take them out from your aviary. No treatment yet, but they are still working on a vaccine for this disease.

So happy to see you back, and looking for more

Signature

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:41 pm 
Global moderator
Global moderator

Thank you brother Mohammed, Yes I put a topic in the Arabic forum/ A Translation taking about this kind of disease, and I already talked about it answering Mr. Werner question.

Many thanks, and good to see you around

Signature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:38 pm 

Topics: 57

Alsalam alaikom wa rahmat alaah taala wa barkath - Hi all

Wonderful brother, Abu Omar Mohammed Alvhmawi
You are wonderful, thoughtful and useful
But what do you think if your subject is divided to several parts and more depth and explanation is applied to each part?
And that focus and apply interest to everybody, especially amateur breeders
I thank you and waiting for your wonderful posts
I hope that the intent is clear because my English is weak :mrgreen:
Greetings

. Image Abo aljoud Image .

Signature

Profile WWWYIM  
Breeder: Syrian Canary (Balady), But I wish to breed all kinds of Canaries & mosaic & Golden finch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm 

Topics: 57

Alsalam alaikom wa rahmat alaah taala wa barkath - Hi all

Wonderful brother,Abu Suhib
Is the black spot disease heritable :?:
I hope that the intent is clear because my English is weak :mrgreen:
Greetings

. Image Abo aljoud Image .

Abu Suhaib wrote:
Thank you Mr. Werner for those information and recommendations. For us cutting the feather around the genitalia is a way that we follow as a solution for this problem for the reason you mentioned.

For the black spot disease, yes it is a serious problem and few friends faced it with baby chicks, it has a high mortality rate for chicks. And what I know about this diseases: It is a viral infection with a single stranded DNA virus known as circovirus. The black spot is always at the right side and it is due to galblader enlargement.The canary circovirus, known as CaCV is transmitted by "carrier" birds . It is highly contagious disease and the virus is too difficult to kill even with disinfectants and can survive on surfaces for up to six months. Because it is a viral disease no treatment is effective, so the only thing to do is to avoid breeding pairs that had this problem before and take them out from your aviary. No treatment yet, but they are still working on a vaccine for this disease.

So happy to see you back, and looking for more

Signature

Profile WWWYIM  
Breeder: Syrian Canary (Balady), But I wish to breed all kinds of Canaries & mosaic & Golden finch
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:01 pm 
Global moderator
Global moderator

Hey Abu Aljoud, our handsome member. Good to see you back with your nice participation. Your suggestion to brother Mohammed is so good. Yes if it is possible for you brother Mohammed to put each subtopic as a main topic and give more explanations that would be good, and sure, that depends on your time, no rush.

Abu Aljoud, The author of this topic recommended culling the parents that produce chicks with black spot as a solution for this problem. So, I think yes it is a heritable disease and transmitted from parents to to chicks if it is not heritable, for sure the parents have a role in transmitting it to chicks and in either way, cull the parents.

Best wishes.

Signature